What Do You Need to Embed a YouTube Video into PowerPoint?
Why Use YouTube Videos?
Videos are everywhere now on the internet, and YouTube seems to be the most frequent supplier of videos for everything you need. In the case of powerpoint, you may be presenting about a product, a method to produce that product, a concept or about a destination vacation, to name just a few reasons for this presentation. The list of possibilities to instruct or entertain your audience is endless.
What You Need for YouTube Videos to Work in powerpoint
- the HTML code from YouTube to embed the video into your presentation
- a live internet connection during the presentation
- a little powerpoint "know-how" about how to play the video on screen
How to Get the HTML Code to Embed a YouTube Video into powerpoint
- On the YouTube website, locate the video you want to use in your presentation. The URL of the video will be in the address bar of the browser. You don't really need to know this information, but it is shown as Item 1 in the image above.
- Click on the Share button, located right below the video.
- Click the Embed button, which will open a text box showing the HTML code for this video.
- Check the box beside Use old embed code [?].
- In most cases, you will select the video size as 560 x 315. This is the smallest size of the video and will be the quickest to load during the presentation. However, in certain circumstances, you may want a larger file size for better clarity on screen.
Note – Even though you can enlarge the placeholder for the video later, the resultant onscreen playback may not be as clear as if you had downloaded a larger file size of the video from the source. In most cases, the smaller file size is sufficient for your needs, but choose accordingly.
Next – Getting the HTML Code to Use in powerpoint
Copy the HTML Code to Embed the YouTube Video into powerpoint
Copy the HTML Code
- After the previous step, the HTML code should be visible in the expanded text box. Click on this code and it should become selected. If the code does not become selected, press the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + A to select all the text in the box.
- Right click on the highlighted code and select Copy from the shortcut menu that appears. (Alternatively, you may press the keyboard shortcut keys – Ctrl + C to copy this code.)
Next – Back to powerpoint – Choose to Insert the Video from a Website
Insert Video from Website into powerpoint
Video from Web Site Option
Once the HTML code is copied to the clipboard, we are now ready to insert that code onto a powerpoint slide.
- Navigate to the desired slide.
- Click on the Insert tab of the ribbon.
- Towards the right side of the ribbon, in the Media section, click on the Video button.
- From the drop down menu that appears, choose Video from Web Site
Next – Paste the HTML Code to Embed the YouTube Video into powerpoint
Paste HTML Code for YouTube Video into powerpoint
Paste Code for YouTube Video
- The Insert Video from Web Site dialog box should be open, following the previous step.
- Right click in the blank, white area and choose Paste from the shortcut menu that appears. (Alternatively, click in a blank area of the white text box and press the shortcut key combination Ctrl + V to paste the HTML code into the box.)
- Note that the code is now shown in the text box.
- Click the Insert button to apply.
Next – Resize the Video Placeholder on the Slide
Resize Video Placeholder on the powerpoint Slide
Resize Video Placeholder
The YouTube video (or video from another website) appears as a black box on the slide. The size of the placeholder will be as you selected in an earlier step. This may not be the best size for your presentation and therefore will need to be resized.
- Click on the video placeholder to select it.
- Note that there are tiny selection handles in each corner and side of the placeholder. These selection handles allow for resizing the video.
- To retain the proper proportions of the video, it is important to drag one of the corner handles to resize the video. (Dragging a selection handle on one the the sides instead, will cause distortion of the video.) You may have to repeat this task to get the sizing just right.
- Hover the mouse over the middle of the black video placeholder and drag to move the whole video to a new location, if necessary.
Test the YouTube Video on the powerpoint Slide
- Never assume that everything works fine without a test. Press the keyboard shortcut Shift + F5 to start the slide show from this current slide.
- Press the big triangular "Play" button in the middle of the video.
Next – Dress Up the Slide With the Video
Dress Up the powerpoint Video Slide
Use a Design Theme or a Colored Background on the Slide
If this powerpoint slide with the YouTube video is still in its plain, white state, you can now dress it up a bit by adding a colored background or a design theme. These tutorials below will show you how easy it is to do this.
Next – Problems with Embedding YouTube Video in powerpoint
See Also – VIDEO Tutorial – How to Use YouTube Videos in powerpoint