Save Your PowerPoint 2007 Presentation in PDF Format
What is PDF format?
The acronym PDF stands for Portable Document Format and was invented by Adobe Systems over fifteen years ago. This format can be used for just about any type of document to
- dramatically reduce the file size
- retain original formatting of document
- be able to be read by anyone on any computer, by simply installing their free Adobe Reader
Saving, or to use the correct term — publishing — your powerpoint 2007 document as a PDF file is a quick way to produce a powerpoint 2007 presentation ready for printing or emailing. This will retain all the formatting you have applied, whether the viewing computer has those particular fonts, styles or themes installed on their computer or not.
Important Note - Creating a PDF file of your PowerPoint presentation is strictly for the purpose of printing or emailing for review. No animations, transitions or sounds will be activated in a PDF formatted document, and PDF files are not editable (without special additional software).
Download and Install the PDF Add-in Program
The ability to save your presentation in PDF format is not part of the initial install of the powerpoint 2007 program. You must download this Microsoft Office 2007 add-in separately and install it to your computer. The nice part is that this will activate this feature in all Microsoft Office 2007 products on your computer.
Note – You can only download this add-in if your powerpoint 2007 program is genuine.
Once you have installed this PDF add-in program you can proceed to the next step.
How to save as a PDF file
- Click on the Office button in the top left corner of the powerpoint 2007 screen.
- Hover your mouse over Save As until the pop-up menu appears.
- Click on PDF or XPS.
- The Publish as PDF or XPS dialog box opens.
Saving PDF Files in powerpoint 2007
Optimize your PDF File
- In the Publish as PDF or XPS dialog box, select the correct folder to save the file and type a name for this new file in the File name: text box.
- If you want to the file to open immediately after saving, make sure to check that box.
- In the Optimize for section, make a choice
- Standard – if your file needs to be printed with a high quality
- Miminum size – for lesser print quality but lower file size (better for emailing)
powerpoint PDF Options
Click on the Options button to see the different options available for printing. (see next page)
Options for powerpoint 2007 PDF Files
Formatting Options for powerpoint 2007 PDF
- Choose the range of Slides for the PDF file. You may choose to create this PDF file with the current slide, specific Slides or all of the Slides.
- Choose to publish whole Slides, handout pages, notes pages or an outline view of all the Slides.
- Once you have made this choice, there are secondary choices as well, such as framing Slides, how many per page and more.
- Make other selections in the option choices if desired.
- Click OK when you have selected all the options.
- Click Publish when you are returned to the previous screen.
Related Article – Print powerpoint PDF Handouts Without a Date
Back to Security in powerpoint