By default, powerpoint presentations are saved in the .pptx file type. However, there may be times when you need to use another file type, such as a PDF or powerpoint 97-2003 presentation. It’s easy to export your presentation from powerpoint in a variety of file types:
- PDF: Saves the presentation as a PDF document instead of a powerpoint file
- Video: Saves the presentation as a video
- Package for CD: Saves the presentation in a folder along with the Microsoft powerpoint Viewer, a special slide show player anyone can download
- Handouts: Prints a handout version of your Slides
- Other file type: Saves in other file types, including PNG and powerpoint 97-2003
To export a presentation:
In our example, we’ll save the presentation as a powerpoint 97-2003 file.
- Click the File tab to access Backstage view.
- Click Export, then choose the desired option. In our example, we’ll select Change File Type.
Clicking Change File Type
- Select a file type, then click Save As.
Choosing a file type and clicking Save As
- The Save As dialog box will appear. Select the location where you want to export the presentation, type a file name, then click Save.
Saving as an powerpoint 97-2003 presentation
You can also use the Save as type: drop-down menu in the Save As dialog box to save presentations in a variety of file types. Be careful to choose a file type others will be able to open.