If you’ve ever seen a PowerPoint presentation that had special effects between each slide, you’ve seen slide transitions. A transition can be as simple as fading to the next slide or as flashy as an eye-catching effect. powerpoint makes it easy to apply transitions to some or all of your Slides, giving your presentation a polished, professional look.
Optional: Download our practice presentation.
Watch the video below to learn more about applying transitions in powerpoint.
There are three categories of unique transitions to choose from, all of which can be found on the Transitions tab.
- Subtle: These are the most basic types of transitions. They use simple animations to move between Slides.
- Exciting: These use more complex animations to transition between Slides. While they’re more visually interesting than Subtle transitions, adding too many can make your presentation look less professional. However, when used in moderation they can add a nice touch between important Slides.
- Dynamic Content: If you’re transitioning between two Slides that use similar slide layouts, dynamic transitions will move only the placeholders, not the Slides themselves. When used correctly, dynamic transitions can help unify your Slides and add a further level of polish to your presentation.
Transitions are best used in moderation. Adding too many transitions can make your presentation look a little silly and can even be distracting to your audience. Consider using mostly subtle transitions, or not using transitions at all.
To apply a transition:
- Select the desired slide from the Slide Navigation pane. This is the slide that will appear after the transition.
- Click the Transitions tab, then locate the Transition to This Slide group. By default, None is applied to each slide.
- Click the More drop-down arrow to display all transitions.
- Click a transition to apply it to the selected slide. This will automatically preview the transition.
You can use the Apply To All command in the Timing group to apply the same transition to all Slides in your presentation. Keep in mind that this will modify any other transitions you’ve applied.
To preview a transition:
You can preview the transition for a selected slide at any time using either of these two methods:
- Click the Preview command on the Transitions tab.
- Click the Play Animations command in the Slide Navigation pane.