PowerPoint files are called presentations. Whenever you start a new project in powerpoint, you’ll need to create a new presentation, which can either be blank or from a template. You’ll also need to know how to open an existing presentation.
Watch the video below to learn more about creating and opening presentations in powerpoint.
To create a new presentation:
When beginning a new project in powerpoint, you’ll often want to start with a new blank presentation.
- Select the File tab to go to Backstage view.
- Select New on the left side of the window, then click Blank Presentation.
- A new presentation will appear.
To create a new presentation from a template:
A template is a predesigned presentation you can use to create a new slide show quickly. TEMPLATES often include custom formatting and designs, so they can save you a lot of time and effort when starting a new project.
- Click the File tab to access Backstage view, then select New.
- You can click a suggested search to find TEMPLATES or use the search bar to find something more specific. In our example, we’ll search for the keyword chalkboard.
- Select a template to review it.
- A preview of the template will appear, along with additional information on how the template can be used.
- Click Create to use the selected template.
- A new presentation will appear with the selected template.
It’s important to note that not all templates are created by Microsoft. Many are created by third-party providers and even individual users, so some templates may work better than others.