Customizing the look of the bullets in your list can help you emphasize certain list items or personalize the design of your list. A common way to customize bullets is to use symbols.
To use a symbol as a bullet:
- Select an existing bulleted list.
- On the Home tab, click the Bullets drop-down arrow.
- Select Bullets and Numbering from the menu that appears.
- A dialog box will appear. On the Bulleted tab, click Customize.
- The Symbol dialog box will appear.
- Click the Font drop-down box and select a font. The Wingdings and Symbol fonts are good choices because they have a lot of useful symbols.
- Select the desired symbol.
- Click OK. The symbol will now appear as the selected bullet option in the Bullets and Numbering dialog box.
- Click OK again to apply the symbol to the list in the document.
To change the distance between the bullets and the text, you can move the first-line indent marker on the Ruler. For more information, visit our Indents and Line Spacing lesson.